VENUE for the Northern European Cathedrals Conference 2019
Christ Church Cathedral
Christ Church Cathedral is Dublin’s diocesan cathedral and the city’s oldest building. A place of pilgrimage for almost 1,000 years, it is renowned for the beauty of its architecture, its floor tiles and its 12th century crypt. Located in the heart of medieval Dublin, Christ Church was founded by Sitriuc, king of the Dublin Norsemen. An extensive restoration project designed by the architect George Edmund Street was completed in 1878. The heart of Dublin’s most famous archbishop, St Laurence O’Toole (1128-1180), the patron saint of the city, rests in a chapel within the cathedral. The choir was founded in 1480. The organ was made in 1984 by the Irish organ builder Kenneth Jones. It was overhauled, partially re-voiced and its specification enhanced by Flentrop in 2004. It is one of the most significant new Irish cathedral organs built in recent years and has gained an impressive international reputation.
St. Patrick's Cathedral
St Patrick’s Cathedral has been part of Ireland’s history for over 800 years. Built between 1220 and 1260 outside the original city walls and dedicated to Ireland’s patron saint, it is one of the few buildings left from medieval Dublin. It is the national cathedral of the Church of Ireland and the largest in the country. Jonathan Swift, author of Gullliver’s Travels, was Dean of St Patrick’s from 1713 to 1745. The cathedral choir was founded in 1431. The 1902 organ by ‘Father’ Willis (rebuilt by Walkers in 1963), is one of the finest late romantic cathedral organs in the world.
The Wood Quay
The Wood Quay Venue, in the Dublin City Council Civic Offices complex, is a spectacular state-of-the-art conference, meeting, exhibition and performance facility. It features a stretch of the original Hiberno-Norse (Viking) city wall dating from 1100.
The Chester Beatty Library
This library was bequeathed to the people of Ireland by collector of antiquities and philanthropist, Sir Alfred Chester Beatty (1875-1968). The biblical papyri will be of particular interest to the participants in our conference. These include leaves from P46, a third century copy of the letters of Paul, and from P45, the oldest extant codex containing all four gospels and the Acts of the Apostles.
This former distillery, located in Smithfield Village in the heart of old Dublin, was founded by John Jameson in 1780. Its old barley storehouse has been converted into a museum where the secrets of Irish whiskey’s distillation are revealed.